God is faithful – even when we don’t understand. In nearly eighteen years of working with various ministries overseas, I have never once had to cancel or postpone a trip once the planning was fully underway—until this spring. Now, I face that decision for the second time in a month and a half.

I have been so excited as we have been praying and preparing for the trip to Central Asia. It has been five years since I’ve seen these children. I have prayed for them over and over and wished to go back for so long. Everything appeared to be coming together. But then other things started coming up. Finally, Wednesday morning, after several emails sent back and forth between myself and my travel agent, I realized it just wasn’t going to happen. Not now at least. My heart hit the floor.

I am so grateful for God’s love. In the midst of my disappointment, and of feeling that I had let down the children, the missionaries and all those who had given (for the second time in a month and a half), God sent a special little gift that said, “Rachel, it isn’t you. I still love you more than anyone else ever will or could.” Truly, He is the God of all Comforts.

Normally, the funds that have come in up to this point would have been sufficient to cover the tickets. This year, however, the prices have been simply astronomical. The best routings have been priced as high as $6000+, not including baggage fees, travel insurance (required) or visa. We have tried and tried to find different routings, but have run into major issues with each one. In addition to rates that are still much higher than anticipated, some of the issues have been as small, yet prohibitive, as not being able to find connections that match up. Other issues have to do with rioting in the streets of the country in which the airline is based. (That one’s not quite so small.)

Lord willing, over the next few weeks I’ll be communicating with the missionaries there about rescheduling for later in the year as originally planned. If you have given to either of these trips and are not comfortable letting the funds sit in the trip account until that time, or to offset the travel expense surrounding the upcoming Bible Institute classes (St. Louis), please, let me know and I will return whatever was given. It is very much the desire of my heart to be a good steward of God’s money.

In the meantime, please be praying for the following:

• That God would continue to prepare all of our hearts (Mine, the missionaries and the children) for the trip, whenever He makes the way for it to happen.

• That ticket prices would come down.

• That the unrest in the region would be resolved – in a peaceful manner.

• That the needed funds for the entire trip would be there when the time arrives.

Thank you for your prayer, your giving and your willingness to help!


2 thoughts on “God is Faithful – Central Asia Update

  1. Rachel, I know what a letdown this is for you. Praying it all comes together in His time and for His honor and glory.

    1. Thank you, Marta! I know that the Lord has a plan. That is my prayer, too. I want Him to be glorified. I’d rather it be me that is disappointed than Him. 🙂 Thank you for always being so encouraging!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s